Monday, May 23, 2011
The Pink Lady of Shelton College
In 1873, the foundation was laid, but money issues caused a halt in construction. Mr. T.M. Shelton gave a loan of several thousand dollars, allowing construction to be completed by 1875. Over the following years, the school still struggled financially. In 1878, the name of the school was changed to Shelton College, in honor of T.M. Shelton, who continued to offer financial assistance.
By 1883, the school was still struggling financially and had a low enrollment, despite the efforts of staff and the Baptist Association to turn the academy into a respectable college. That year, a joint stock company was organized to purchase the school and pay off the debt. Under private control, Rev. Baylus Cade, followed by W.G. Miller, acted as principal. By 1887, there were 52 students taking regular English and classical courses, plus music and "special normal courses." The following year boasted an enrollment of 70 students, both male and female, and by 1889, the school was debt free.
However, low enrollment coupled with financial stress led to the closing of the school in the early 1900s, and by 1911, it was converted into a private residence. Over the years, many families living in the house have encountered the "pink lady." The pink lady is seen in a flowing gown, long hair, and enshrouded in a glowing pink light. It is rumored that this lady is the first mistress of the home. She is also seen in a local cemetery where her baby is allegedly buried.