Monday, May 23, 2011

Glen Ferris Inn

The Glen Ferris Inn began its life in 1839 when Andrew Stockton received a license to operate a "common room" to cater to the stagecoach traffic through the area.  Prior to that year, the site probably contained a home as early as 1810, which at some point partially burned, and was reconstructed as Stockton's Inn.

In 1853, the common room expanded into what is now the Glen Ferris Inn.  During the Civil War, soldiers from both sides stayed at the inn, as did two future presidents of the United States.  It is rumored that the home even served as a makeshift Civil War hospital between 1863 and 1865.

After the war, aluminum production began in the area, and Union Carbide purchased the inn, expanding it with a 10 room wing in 1929.  Additions were built in the 1960s and again in the 1980s, before a local family purchased the inn from Elkem Metals in 1996.

The inn is said to be haunted by the ghost of a Confederate officer dubbed "The Colonel."  The ghost is described as being helpful and playful, shutting doors behind people, frothing up the water in the birdbath, and causing disembodied footsteps.  The long-bearded Colonel is often only seen from the waist up, and often in the hallway outside the kitchen.

(Photo Property of Theresa Racer)

14 comments:

  1. Today as my husband and I were driving past the Inn I told him one time I was driving past the Inn and saw a lady dressed in Victorian attire in the second floor window he remarked I have seen her also,he thought it was a mannequin. I looked today at the window and just saw drapes in the window.Did they ever use a mannequin as a decoration or could we have seen a ghost?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I don't live close enough to the inn to drive past it on any sort of regular basis, and I know the last time I was in the area, I didn't see any mannequins. I'll email the inn and see what they have to say, then get back to you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I work near there twice a month and every time I drive past now I look towards the second story window. My husband having the same sighting has peeked my curiosity. I enjoyed reading the history and the hauntings of the Inn you posted.

      Delete
    3. That was actually a manequin that was put there for that reason-as a joke really-sorry to disappoint .

      Delete
    4. I live in Gauley and it was, indeed, a mannequin. They have also had a mannequin dressed in Civil War attire.

      Delete
  2. I have worked at the Inn before, and have seen The Colonel with my own eyes. He was in the kitchen when I saw him & he looks exactly as described. I have also seen the White Lady, a Civil war nurse who can be seen on the first floor going room to room with a tray of some type, as if she is administering medicine. I have more stories of the Inn as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input, Chastity! Sounds like there's a LOT going on at the inn!

      Delete
  3. Also, I have never known there to be a mannequin anywhere in the Inn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask anyone that worked there a few years ago & they will confirm it, as well :)

      Delete
  4. I have worked there in the past (2002) and it was one of the experiences that I had that caused me to quit on the spot. I was a waitress in the dining room and it was around 7:30pm. There was no one in the dining area when I first looked but all of a sudden a little boy in a grey civil war type suit was sitting at one of the tables. I walked over to him and asked him if he was waiting for someone and he shook his head no. I asked if I could get him something and he said in almost a whisper "chocolate milk, ma'am" I walked into the kitchen and got his milk, brought it back to the table and he was gone. I asked the cook if he had seen anyone come in and he said that he didn't, so I then went up front and asked the desk clerk if she seen anyone and she said no as well. I realized that it was a ghost kid. I told my manager that I was done, I couldn't deal with ghosts, grabbed my stuff, and high-tailed it out of there as fast as I could. My husband and I have also seen the Victorian "mannequin" in the window. I believe that it is the wife of the Colonel and that it isn't a mannequin at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!

      Delete
  5. I have seen a soldier in one of the rooms closest to the road at the very top of the oldest part of the building many times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am currently a waitress here. I just started and have recently heard its been haunted. The basement was a hospital. Me nd my coworker really want to go down there. I have yet to experience anything but I know nothing bad lurkd here. Only spirits that havent found peace. Ive been researching any history of the inn sincr ive found out

    ReplyDelete