The Harper House is the oldest still standing structure in the town of Harper's Ferry. Due to issues involving the Civil War, it took a period of over six years to complete, with construction beginning in 1775 and ending in 1781.
This home was the second Harper's Ferry area home, and last home EVER for town founder, Robert Harper. Harper passed away in 1782, and shortly thereafter, his home was used as the only tavern in town, hosting many historical guests including Thomas Jefferson and George Washington. Today, the Park Service owns the home.
Over the years, the home has gotten a reputation for having at least one, and possibly two ghosts. A friend of Harper's named Hamilton is reported to have died in the home after an accidental fall, causing many to believe his spirit still lingers. Still, others believe that the main ghost is that of Rachel Harper, Robert's wife. Rachel allegedly died from complications after falling from a ladder. She is sometimes seen looking out from the uppermost window of the home, gazing down toward the garden. Local lore states that Robert may have buried treasure somewhere in the garden, and Rachel is looking after it.