Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Review: True Findings in the Appalachian Foothills

Title: Southern Ohio Paranormal Investigations:  True Findings in the Appalachian Foothills
Author: Rev. Sindrake Vladnoburke

Being a member of another paranormal investigation team in the area, I'm slightly familiar with SOPI's work, and was very pleased to see them release a book.

I was quite impressed with the stories told in this book...some were downright frightening!  My personal favorite was a tale of a mysterious iron pot, and what it contained.

Unfortunately, I was somewhat confused by the layout of the book, and the identity to who was telling the story.  In reading the title, I assumed that the book would be filled with anecdotes from cases that the team investigated professionally.  Again, as an investigator, its always fun to see current trends in hauntings, share experiences-similar and otherwise, and observe how other teams conduct their business.

However, most of the stories were well over 20 years old...so I assume that perhaps they were personal stories from various SOPI members, assumingly some of which no doubtedly sparked an interest in paranormal investigation?  The Foreward is heavily wrought with mentions of heritage and family, so that makes sense.  I really would have liked to seen current cases covered in addition, but I fully agree that our area's heritage and folklore needs to be preserved and passed down...and ghost lore is a HUGE part of that in this area.

Either way, it was a fun, quick read, and like I've said before, I'm a collector of local ghost lore.  While some minor editing is needed, for the most part the book was well written and engaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment