At the north end of Armstrong Street extension in Keyser, WV, stands an old two-story, rambling stone house. This house as used as a prison both by the North and the South, during the Civil War. At one time, three Northern prisoners were in one of the small cells. They pried off a piece of roof and hoped to make their escape. The Southern guards discovered them. They were given no chance at all, as the guards opened fire, killing all three. The room was literally smeared with blood from the Union soldiers.
After the war was over this jail or prison was converted into a private dwelling. From that time (the time it was converted) until about 10 years ago, the owners could not keep the roof on that room. It would always come off at least once a year at the same place, every time. But about ten years ago, a family bought the property and had a lot of repair work done. Now the old stone house seems to rest in peace, at last, for the roof gives this family no more trouble.
The house in question is undoubtedly the Shingleton House, shown above in a 1927 postcard. Today, the house is still standing, and is known locally as the Old Stone House, and is owned by the Mineral County Historical Foundation. The Old Stone House was built sometime between 1810 and 1815 by Edward McCarty.
A Guide to Haunted West Virginia offers the above version of this story, as long as another version of the tale, involving the murder of seven Confederate soldiers.