Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Review: Oval Office Occult

Title: Oval Office Occult: True Stories of White House Weirdness
Author: Brian Thomsen
Publisher Data: Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC, 2008

I had requested this book as part of LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program, and was deeply disappointed that I didn't  receive a copy.  However, I was more disappointed that I went out on my own and actually spent my hard-earned money for this book.

That's a little unfair, I guess.  It's not that it was a BAD book...but it was a boring book.  It was written in stand-alone chapters, and while I thought from the descriptions that it would be a tome full of interesting and little known paranormal facts and haunts of the White House, it focused more on the well known tales of Lincoln's spiritualist leanings, and actual White House events outside of that were sparse.

The tone throughout was pretty dry, and I wouldn't recommend this for a fun, entertaining read.  However, to those with an interest in history, it is a nice little reference book.  The author quotes historical documentation for many of these chapters, and it is nice to see those original sources as they were first printed.

There's a little something in this book for people of all interests in the paranormal field...from UFO's, psychic visions, Conspiracy Theory, and even vampires.  If you don't mind a compilation of older articles, then this book is an informative read.

Purchase Information 

No comments:

Post a Comment