Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Review: Ghost in the Mirror

Title: Ghost in the Mirror: Real Cases of Spirit Encounters
Author: Leslie Rule
Publisher Data: Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC, 2008

Theresa's Note:  I received a review copy of this book as part of LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program.  I submitted this review to the website as instructed, but I also published it on the original Theresa's Haunted History website.  I felt quite honored again when I found a guestbook signature from Leslie Rule herself, thanking me for the review!

I'm very honored that my first ER book was on my favorite subject by one of my favorite authors!

As a paranormal investigator, I'm definitely a connoisseur of paranormal literature, including anthologies of ghost stories, and Ms. Rule has never let me down.  I appreciate the research she provides into attempting to back up each story she relates without completely detracting from the legend and folklore aspect.

This particular book caught my attention because of the issue of mirrors being brought up with such frequency lately.  I was impressed with how the stories stay on track with the central theme, but don't entirely rely on it...and the transitional phrasing going from one story to another allows the work to flow freely, or be read in bits and pieces.  The staggering of different types of formats, from newspaper articles, to first-hand accounts, keeps even the most ADHD-afflicted readers interested, and I love the pieces spotlighting other paranormal groups.

The only things I would change would be a little more of a historical profile for some of these lesser known public haunts, and more pictures!  Ms. Rule's beautiful photographs of these places in question really offer a visual stimulant, aiding in the overall effect of the creepiness.

Overall...this is a book I'd definitely recommend for anyone...from those with a passing curiosity into the paranormal, to die-hard investigators.

Purchase Information

No comments:

Post a Comment