Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Yesterday's Draught House and Stage
In 1908, the building that now houses Yesterday's was owned by a millinery operated by Mrs. J.S. Gavin. Around 3:30am on the morning of Tuesday, August 11th, 1908, a gas leak caused a fire in the building. Gavin's three daughters, Clara (27), Mamie (29), and Margaret (21), were asleep on the third floor and suffocated to death before they could get out. Four of Gavin's sons, plus two servant girls, escaped serious injury by jumping out 3rd story windows. Mrs. Gavin herself was gravely injured, and was not expected to survive the ordeal.
If traveling through Wheeling, stop in after 7pm for music and a variety of....spirits.
Photo above from the Yesterday's Website