Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Yesterday's Draught House and Stage

Since 2006, Yesterday's Draught House and Stage has been serving up live music and drinks to the people of Wheeling...and possibly hosting a family of ghosts.  Yesterday's, which occupies a 4 story building built over 100 years ago, proudly displays on their website the idea that the venue may be haunted by three sisters who died in a fire, over 100 years ago.  The website has a newspaper clipping to support this belief:

In 1908, the building that now houses Yesterday's was owned by a millinery operated by Mrs. J.S. Gavin.  Around 3:30am on the morning of Tuesday, August 11th, 1908, a gas leak caused a fire in the building.  Gavin's three daughters, Clara (27), Mamie (29), and Margaret (21), were asleep on the third floor and suffocated to death before they could get out.  Four of Gavin's sons, plus two servant girls, escaped serious injury by jumping out 3rd story windows.  Mrs. Gavin herself was gravely injured, and was not expected to survive the ordeal.

If traveling through Wheeling, stop in after 7pm for music and a variety of....spirits.

Photo above from the Yesterday's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.