Friday, January 6, 2023

Spooky Reading 2022 Wrap Up


In 2022, I decided to share my paranormal non-fiction reading with you all via quarterly updates. It's time to wrap up a year in reading with my 4th quarter spooky reading list of 2022! According to my GoodReads account, I managed an impressive fourteen (14) paranormal nonfiction books read between October 1st and December 31st. That brings my total for the year up to 39! Let's take a look at this last set of books I checked off my list.

1. Area 51: Discerning Facts from Fiction, by Conrad Bauer. I downloaded this Kindle ebook for free, and it was a nice, short concise history of the lore surrounding the secretive area known in UFO and conspiracy circles as Area 51. 

2. Unexplained Blackpool Hauntings, by Christine Miller. This was another free ebook I downloaded and it was a fun collection of haunted locations from the Blackpool area. Again, short and concise, but reasonably well-written and entertaining.

3. No Common Task: The Autobiography of a Ghost Hunter, by Peter Underwood. I'm a huge fan of Peter Underwood's work, so I was happy to read this account of his early life and some of his early forays into the paranormal field. I'm not gonna lie--it was a little dry at times, but if you're interested in how Underwood got his start and the man behind countless collections of true ghost stories, it's worth a read. 

4. Buckeye Legends: Folktales and Lore From Ohio, by Michael Jay Katz. Being so close to the Ohio border, I was really interested in taking a look at some folklore from a nearby area. There were a few really fascinating stories in here, and a few that were a little blah. 

5. The World's Weirdest Abductions, by Chip Norton: I went through a period last year where I did a deep dive into alien abduction theory, so I was familiar with most of the cases contained in this short little free ebook, but it was a quick and weird read and sometimes that's exactly what I'm looking for. 

6. The World of Lore: Dreadful Places, by Aaron Mahnke. I've been a fan of the Lore podcast since the beginning, and was pleased when Aaron began publishing the best of the best of the tales in book form. I'm pretty sure the text of the books is word for word from the podcast scripts, minus the sponsorship info, but I'm cool with that. There were a few stories that really caught my attention, such as one from the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum.

7. Haunted Potomac River Valley, by David Thompson. You can't go wrong with these collections of haunted locations published by Haunted America, and I had to pick up this volume, as it featured a few places in West Virginia. These books are always a good mix of history and reported ghostly activity, and this one was no exception.

8. Spirits, Ghosts, and Troublesome Entities by Leanne Halyburton. This book, which was another free ebook, wasn't bad, but it just seemed a little disjointed, and relied heavily on the author quoting the experiences of her social media fan base who wrote in with their stories in response to her requests.

9. The Hollow Earth, by Raymond Bernard. I found this vintage paperback at Goodwill and knew I had to have it in my collection. Basically, it's the same information stated over and over and over trying to make the case for a Hollow Earth, with openings at the North and South Poles. Oh, and there's some info about how UFO's probably aren't from space, but come out of these openings at the poles instead. 

10. Real West Virginia UFOs, by Dave Spinks. One of my Mothman Festival pickups for 2022! I can't resist a collection of WV ufo sightings, and this one was a good one. Please see my review HERE. 

11. Where the Ghosts Walk: The Gazetteer of Haunted Britain, by Peter Underwood. This was just another hefty collection of British ghost stories from the king of British ghost stories. 

12. Truth Seeker, by Tom Moore. Tom Moore runs a paranormal investigation team here in WV and for several years, wrote a newspaper column in Parkersburg about his paranormal experiences. This book is a collection of those articles. Please see my review for it HERE

13. Chasing American Monsters, by Jason Offutt. I needed more cryptozoology books to round out the last quarter of the year, and this was a fine choice. Chasing American Monsters is broken down state by state and showcases a few of each area's iconic critters. 

14. Thirty True Tales of the Weird, Unusual, and Macabre, by Pat Bussard. Pat is a journalist who started her own group of paranormal researchers. She writes extensively on a variety of paranormal topics, and this is an eclectic collection of those writings. Everything from ghost hunting to Mothman to tarot cards is covered, complete with an introduction by the late, great Rosemary E. Guiley. 

Thanks for following along with my love of spooky reading, and I'll see ya back in early April for my 1st quarter of 2023 update. Until then, you can check out my Book Reviews page, or follow me over on GoodReads to see what all I'm reading in addition to my paranormal nonfiction. Stay spooky, ya'll! 


1st Quarter 2022 Spooky Reading

2nd Quarter 2022 Spooky Reading

3rd Quarter 2022 Spooky Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment