Saturday, July 23, 2022

Second Quarter Spooky Reading 2022


Another three months have passed, and I've added another eleven paranormal non-fiction books to my completed reading list! I'm pretty proud of that number! Even though I've technically had plenty of opportunity to read, sitting in hospital waiting rooms and doctors' offices, I've been too stressed out to really concentrate. There's nothing more frustrating than someone with ADHD, wanting to read and can't! But, like I said, I'm pleased with what I did accomplish.

As a paranormal investigator and researcher, part of my continuing education is staying informed about various aspects of the field, and how all those different topics work together. I'm constantly looking for ways to improve my work as a paranormal investigator, as well as gathering new ideas for blog posts.  Plus, sometimes I just like to read a good, spooky ghost story. 

Per usual, you can find my reviews on my Book Reviews page, and follow me on Good Reads to see EVERYTHING that I'm reading throughout the year. But, let's take a look at the spooky stuff I've read in April, May, and June of 2022: 

1.  Ghosts of the River Towns, by Rick Fisher: I picked this one up while I was a speaker/vendor at Dave Spinks' WV Monster Con, back in March. It's a short, fun read featuring a variety of haunted locations in Pennsylvania. 

2.  Monsters, Cryptids, and Mysterious Wild Beasts, by Jannette Quackenbush: You can never go wrong with a title from the prolific author on all things spooky, Jannette Quackenbush! This was another paranormal convention pick up---I got to see and chat with Jannette at the Hidden Marietta Paranormal Expo last January. I've reviewed this

3.  Otherworldly Encounters, by Novar Slevik. I also picked this one up during Monster Con. It's largely about UFO sightings and close encounters in the New England area. It's a really good, quick read full of interesting sightings. 

4. The Greatest Mysteries of the Unexplained, by Andrew Holland. This is one of those Bargain Books you can pick up for about $6 at BAM!, but it wasn't bad. Lots of very basic information about a wide variety of weird and paranormal topics, but well worth the read for some quick entertainment.

5.  Above Top Secret: The Worldwide UFO Cover Up, by Timothy Good. I was able to download a FREE ebook version of this for my Kindle via Amazon, and didn't realize that it was an actual book that's been around for a long time! Although originally published in the 1980's, there's still a lot of good information about ufology. 

6. The Appalachian Bigfoot, by Dr. Russell Jones: This is Dr. Jones' second Bigfoot book, and it was a really, really informative text about anything and everything you'd need to know about Bigfoot in Appalachia. I reviewed this one for the blog earlier this month, so definitely check out my post on that for more info! 

7. Disneyland of the Gods, by John Keel: John Keel is an interesting author, and his tongue-in-cheek style of writing can take some getting used to. However, it's so worth it! Keel was one of the greatest Fortean writers of our time, and this book was just a mish-mash of the strange and unusual. 

8. Haunted America: Dead But Not Gone in West Virginia, by Sherri Granato: Haunted America was another FREE ebook I downloaded from Amazon, and I'm really glad I didn't pay anything. It was short...VERY short, and didn't really offer anything that couldn't easily be found online, despite the fact that the author had personally visited the locations mentioned. I've read some of the author's other books and they were much better. This wasn't bad...it was just way too short to be considered a 'book.' 

9.  The Vampire's Bedside Companion, by Peter Underwood: I love Peter Underwood and have made my way through quite a few of his paranormal titles over the past few years. The Vampire's Bedside Companion is a unique mix of allegedly 'real' vampire encounters and lore, plus several works of vampire fiction from various authors. 

10. Paranormal Creatures, by Conrad Bauer: Another FREE ebook from Amazon! Conrad Bauer offers a ton of books on lots of paranormal topics, and this title was a nice little collection of some well-known and some lesser-known examples from cryptozoology.

11.  The Signet Handbook of Parapsychology,  edited by Martin Ebon: This is a hefty tome of essays, plucked from parapsychology journals and papers on a variety of parapsychology topics. It's taken me over a year to get through it all, but it was worth it. Entries were written by some of the 20th century's greatest parapsychologists on topics such as animal behavior, dreams, ESP, and afterlife studies. 

So let me know what YOU'VE been reading lately, or if you've read any of the titles above and have any opinions you'd like to share! Let me know in the comments below or find me over on Theresa's Haunted History of the Tri-State Facebook page!  You can also check out my First Quarter Spooky Reading and let me know what you think as well! Happy haunting! 

1 comment:

  1. I've really enjoyed Jeanette Quackenbush's other books about West Virginia!

    ReplyDelete