Thursday, January 19, 2023

My (Maybe) Bigfoot Experience at Kanawha State Forest

I was born and raised in West Virginia and come from a family of avid outdoorsmen and hunters. Yet, personally, as much as I love nature, I've never really ventured that deeply into the wilderness. Therefore, I always thought my chances of running into a Bigfoot were slim to none. Oddly enough, I DID have a potential sighting of a white Bigfoot in Lawrence County, Ohio while a friend and I were doing some research at a small, country cemetery, but that was my only sighting of anything I would even remotely consider cryptozoological. But, it may not have been my only ENCOUNTER.

It's been over a year now, closer to two actually (March 2021), that I had a strange experience at Kanawha State Forest. I had seen my therapist that morning and after talking through some pretty heavy stuff, I felt the need to just reconnect with nature for a little while. So, I hopped in the car and drove to Kanawha State Forest. I made a couple of stops throughout the park, taking some photos and even walking one of the easy trails. I still had some time before I needed to be back to pick my son up from school, so I made my way down to a little area known as Dunlop Hollow that had some stories about being haunted by a woman who, folklore says was lynched from a large tree at the site.

I parked the car, took a few photos, and made my way over to a picnic bench and sat down with a book. I didn't stay too long, but spent probably about a half hour or so, just enjoying the sunshine, listening to the birds, and reading my book. For the most part, Kanawha State Forest is a really clean, well-maintained park. But, like any outdoor area, there had been some visitors some time before me that didn't quite get their garbage to the garbage can.Before I left, I spent about 5-10 minutes picking up the trash in the area, which was mostly some little things, like candy wrappers, fast food cups/straws, and random plastic pieces. Just as I had dumped a handful into the trashcan, I distinctly heard a deep man's voice say "Thank you." 

Thinking maybe a park ranger or other employee had somehow snuck down to where I was without me seeing them, I looked around but didn't see anyone. And, that's when I realized that I THINK I heard the words in my head, not aloud, and also got the feeling that someone, or something was watching me. I needed to leave to go get my son, but I was kind of...unsettled...about what had happened. Was I hallucinating? Did I hear a ghost? Or, did I experience Mind Speak, a type of telepathic communication that some believe these creatures known as Bigfoot may be capable of? The skeptical side of me absolutely believes it wasn't anything more than my imagination (or maybe an actual person that I didn't see). But, there's a side of me that really, really wants there to be some type of paranormal explanation. I'd love it if my actions, no matter how small, were appreciated by an elusive beast who called the area home. And, you never know---Kanawha State Forest IS known for sightings of a Bigfoot! You can learn more about at least one of these documented sightings, as investigated by the Wild and Weird team from the videos below!

Possible Bigfoot Activity in Kanawha County at the Salamander Site

Unexpected Sasquatch Encounter

No comments:

Post a Comment