Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Wild Man of Weston

 


From The Daily Telegram (Clarksburg, WV)
March 14, 1903

Somewhat by accident, I stumbled upon quite a few stories of wild men running amok through the hills of West Virginia recently. Up until now, I haven't really featured these stories too often here at Theresa's Haunted History of the Tri-State. Sure, I love a good monster story and my heart skips a beat when I find tales that mirror early reports of Bigfoot-type creatures in our area. However, I've kinda shied away from the wild man tales that are obviously modern humans who, for whatever reason, have shunned the norms of everyday society. These men, whether they're just loners, or mentally ill, as supposed in the story above, just didn't fit the mold I was going for.

But, the more I come across such tales, the more I realize that they're a unique part of our state's folklore and history as well. And, if they were important enough to be written about in newspapers at the time, they're surely important enough to find a cozy lil' spot here on my blog. So, until I run out of tales to share, Wednesdays will be Wild Men Wednesdays here at Theresa's Haunted History. Stay weird, stay spooky, stay wild. 

No comments:

Post a Comment