St. Joseph's is West Virginia's second oldest Catholic hospital. It was established in 1900 by the Sisters of St. Joseph, out of Wheeling, WV. The sisters were asked to come to Parkersburg to set up the Catholic hospital by Father Hickey and Dr. John H. Kelley, of the St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church.
Five years later, the sisters had set up a nursing school in the hospital, and by 1930, the building had expanded into the facility seen in the photo above.
With its 109 year history, the hospital has picked up a few ghost stories. The activity seems to concentrate on the 4-South section of the hospital, and usually at night. Trash cans over turning seem to be the most common activity reported, but the occasional scream coming from an empty room is also reported.
Staff have also witnessed objects being thrown at them in the boiler room, electrical disturbances, and other various types of paranormal activity.