Monday, April 4, 2022

Paranormal with a Purpose



On Wednesday, March 30th, Brian and I were honored to take part in a very special paranormal event. We were asked to speak at the first meeting of the Paranormal Discussion Group, created and presented by the St. Albans On Purpose Project! 

According to their website, "The On Purpose project works with people who have developmental disabilities to do community improvement projects in West Virginia. We believe that all people have unique purpose and we want to be intentional about inclusion and building community." This fun, monthly paranormal chat group is just one of the many, many fun, inclusive activities the group is involved in, and I'm thrilled I got to be a part of it. 

The idea for a paranormal discussion group came from Barry, a young man with a passion for the paranormal and tons of knowledge about the ghost hunting world. Facilitated by Angie Breeden, I was contacted to come and give a little talk to the group, followed up by plenty of Q and A. The St. Albans Historical Society made for an awesome meeting location, and the event was open to the public.

Barry, Theresa, and Brian
Photo by Angie Breeden


As this was the first meeting of this kind, with no real set format or agenda, we basically kinda winged it.  I gave a VERY abbreviated version of my WV Cemetery Legends presentation. Then Brian and I talked about some ghost hunting basics and paranormal theory. We discussed the history and the purpose of Spectral Research and Investigation, and told stories of some of our favorite cases.  He even brought a few of our hands-on pieces of equipment so people could try them out. 

I absolutely loved how engaged everyone was. There were tons of really thoughtful and insightful questions that Brian and I were more than happy to answer. I think I can speak for both of us when I say that we truly enjoy talking about our experiences and sharing our knowledge, especially to those who also have such an enormous interest in all things spooky. We had such a great time that we didn't leave the building until almost an hour after our estimated time!

The Paranormal Discussion Group is slated to be a monthly event, with the next one being held on April 27th, 2022. These meetings will be held the last Wednesday of each month, and will be open to the public. Please follow the St. Albans On Purpose Project Facebook page for updates on these meetings, including an announcement on who the next guest speaker will be!  I'll also be sharing and updating that information on my own page, Theresa's Haunted History! 

Setting up for our paranormal talk with
St. Albans On Purpose Project
Photo by Brian Clary

I want to thank everyone who was involved in inviting us out and who came to listen to us talk. It was a wonderful experience and I know I'll definitely be in the audience for as many of these additional meetings as I can attend. Everyone there was so awesome, and made us feel so welcomed and appreciated. I really can't express how grateful I am to have been given this opportunity to share Theresa's Haunted History and SRI with the community, and to connect with a fantastic group of locals interested in the paranormal!

*Are you interested in having Theresa and Brian speak to your school, civic, or similar group? We LOVE to talk spooky, and we'd be happy to present to your group on a variety of paranormal/ghost hunting topics! We also love appearing on podcasts! If you're located in or around Southern West Virginia and would like to speak with us, give me a shout at theresarhps@yahoo.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment