The Rhine Research Center defines parapsychology as 'the scientific study of interactions between living organisms and their external environment that seem to transcend the known physical laws of nature. Parapsychology is a component of the broader study of consciousness and the mind.'
It goes on to list the FIVE areas of study within parapsychology:
1. Telepathy-mind to mind communication through a means other than the normal senses.
2. Clairvoyance or Remote Viewing-knowledge of objects, people or events that are hidden via space or time.
3. Precognition-knowledge of an event that has not yet occurred, or information that appears to be transferred from the future into the present.
4. Psychokinesis (PK)-Mind interacting with matter at a distance.
5. Survival Studies-The nature of human consciousness and an examination of whether consciousness survives the physical form. This includes mediumship research, reincarnation, out of body experiences, apparitions, and ghost activities.
Up until this point, the majority of my interests, and thus work, in the paranormal field have had a fairly narrow focus on Survival Studies, mainly ghosts, apparitions, and hauntings. However, in order to have a fuller understanding of my chosen focus area, I realize the need for a broader education of the entire parapsychology field.
Luckily, I found a wonderful, FREE opportunity! Starting on January 5, 2015, the Parapsychology Foundation is partnering with the AZIRE to offer a free course entitled Parapsychology and Anomalistic Psychology: Research and Theory. Hosted through WizIQ, this course will consist of over 22 video lectures running almost daily through February 14th. A partial list of speakers has been published, and there are some interesting lectures, ranging from those geared to the beginner to those very specific to certain areas of study. The majority of speakers are associated with the Rhine Research Center in some way or another and are noted in their field as being top researchers.
This link will give you all the information you need to sign up for the course: Parapsychology MOOC
I'm excited for this and I hope some of you will join me in this endeavor!