Thursday, March 22, 2012

Book Review for Haunted Places in West Virginia

Title: Haunted Places in West Virginia (complete list of haunted places and history in West Virginia and how to ghost hunt)

Author: Steve Davis

Available as a Kindle download from Amazon.com

I'm going to be completely honest...this isn't a book review as much as it is an old fashioned RANT about one of my biggest pet peeves. 

For those who know me, I LOVE books.  I especially love books dealing with the paranormal, with WV history, and of course, a combination of the two--haunted WV history.  Luckily, Aaron shares in (or at least, accepts) my passion and has helped me turn our living room into a library showcasing my personal collection.  I'm proud to say that over the years, I have amassed a collection of paranormal non-fiction that outshines any local public library's or even the "New Age" section of most bookstores.  In addition I have a West Virginia history and genealogy section that although still incomplete, has saved me so much time and money in my research pursuits.

I'm always on the look out for new acquisitions to my collection...so I was quite happy when this evening I stumbled upon a new Kindle book by Steve Davis.  Despite the $2.99 price tag, I immediately purchased it.  I can't say that I was shocked by the content, but I was deeply disappointed.  The book's description is as such:  "Every haunted place in the state of West Virginia is right here. This books contains everything you need to start ghost hunting right now. From places to maps to equipment."

I guess it was safe to assume that NOT every haunted place in West Virginia would be represented...just those featured on the Shadowlands Index.  Seriously, this is all the book was: a copy and paste job of the very viewer-submitted indices that Theresa's Haunted History of the Tri-State has tried so hard to correct.  Don't get me wrong...this site and others that steal its information or offer similar lists can be an asset to the investigation community.  They let investigators out there know the hot spots that real people are having experiences at or that have a long reputation in the community for being haunted. 

Despite the fact that these listings are usually horribly inaccurate, they give investigators and ghost hunting enthusiasts a starting point, and an opportunity to do their own research.  And, they certainly don't deserve to be ripped off and sold for profit.

As for the second part of this book...the part about how to ghost hunt.  Well, that consists of a handful of links to where you can buy books and ghost hunting equipment, but no actual information.  While depressing, I'm actually kind of happy.  If THIS is what is selling on Amazon, I will have no problem selling MY book(s)...when I get around to it ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment