Monday, September 17, 2018

Mothman Festival 2018



Another year and another Mothman Festival behind us.  For me, the Mothman Festival usually signifies the official beginning of the Halloween season, and this was one of the most fun years yet!

For the second year in a row, I didn't get my own vendor table, but I DID end up Saturday helping Aaron work the table his aunt/mother rented, and despite the unbearable heat, we had a really nice time.  That oppressive heat kept me from moving around too much, but I did get out a few times to see the sights.

One of the first things I did this year was see Tonya and Joey Madia speak at the State Theater.  Their talk, titled "Ghostesses, Portals, and MIBs: Our Haunted Life So Far", was a really interesting look at the hauntings and other strange things they've witnessed while living in West Virginia and elsewhere, as well as their journey into becoming investigators of the paranormal and developing their psychic gifts.  I was personally fascinated with the story they told about an odd experience of theirs after visiting Pt. Pleasant's famous TNT area.  An episode of missing time and a shared visual sighting of an interdimensional being on the side of the road led to a series of friendships and opportunities that resulted in them being able to share their knowledge on the Mothman Festival stage.

Joey and Tonya Madia's Speaker Promo

While I was glad I got to catch the Madias'  talk, it couldn't have come at a worse time!  Shortly after settling into my seat at the back of the theater, I get a text message from Aaron, saying he had met Jacob The Carpetbagger!!!

For a couple of years now, I've been following the Carpetbagger on YouTube.  I love his dry wit and hilarious commentary as he travels around the country visiting strange festivals, unique museums, old school roadside attractions, and just about everything else strange and fascinating.  A couple of months ago, Aaron sat down and watched a few of the Carpetbaggers videos with me and apparently became an instant fan.  I was really upset I didn't get to meet the Carpetbagger, but was quite bemused that Aaron actually shows up IN THE CARPETBAGGER'S MOTHMAN FESTIVAL VIDEO!!!!

Aaron and The Carpetbagger


My other highlight of the festival was spending way too much money.  I picked up a Mothman headband and ornament from a vendor outside the Mason Jar.  I bought a kickass pair of Mothman leggings from a little boutique on Main Street.  I picked up two books, The Unexplained Presents The South Dakota Road Guide to Haunted Locations and The Unexplained Presents The Iowa Road Guide to Haunted Locations, both by Chad Lewis and Terry Fisk. Aaron walked away with a huge bag of baked goods.

We also purchased a few pieces of epic art from The Art of Eerie Eric.  Eerie Eric takes these idyllic, pastoral painted scenes...and then adds a creepy twist!  Unfortunately, we weren't for us---we purchased them for an out-of-town friend who couldn't make it to the festival.  But, we are definitely planning on ordering something online in the near future!

Sample of Eerie Eric's art


Like every year, we were completely blown away by how nice everyone was.  There is simply no place like the Mothman Festival where people from so many walks of life come together to celebrate cryptozoology, the paranormal, horror, history, and fandom in peace.  The big draw for this year's festival was Bethesda.  Their new Fallout 76 game features several creatures from WV mythology, notably the Mothman, so giveaways, cosplay, and exclusive merchandise were big hits this year.  And again, for another year we were so blown away by the level of creativity displayed by the various vendors.  For all price points, you can take away a really cool handmade Mothman souvenir, fine art, T-shirts, books, and so much more.  The variety of food offerings was also really good this year, and there were plenty of Mothman themed treats to go around.

I can't wait to go back next year, but first I've got a few more paranormal conventions and events to tackle!  Stay spooky, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment