Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Flatwoods Wild Man: Original Braxton Monster?

 


As part of my on-going deep dive into a rash of hairy man sightings from the 1960's being dubbed 'The Braxton Monster,' I thought it might be interesting to include this 'wild man' report from Flatwoods. Is this the original Braxton Monster? It certainly seems...monstrous! This particular article from the Evening Telegram (a paper out of Lakeland, Florida) is dated March 8th, 1919 and denotes a RETURN of this pig/kid stealing creature.

This report, and many others from the area, can be found on the Bigfoot page of the Braxton County CVB page. I've provided the transcription below of this creepy little story, and I'll let YOU decide whether you think it was a monster, or simply an insane man. Also, be sure to check back tomorrow as we wrap up this series of articles with two final stories!

Return of Wild Man Revives Old Terrors

Flatwoods, W. Va. – The belief that a wild man is still lurking in this vicinity, stealing and killing children and young pigs, is stronger than ever just now. A story related by Luther C. Douglas has dispelled all hopes that the terrible creature had fled to other localities. Douglas’ story follows:

“I was on my way home from lodge meeting,” said Douglas, “when I heard a noise near Ed Wiley’s barn, which is close to the road. I thought it might be a dog and paid little attention to it at first. Then, as I was passing a vacant house a short distance from Ed’s place, I heard a distant door slam and a wild-looking fellow, in rags and with long hair and beard that others who have seen him have described, came rushing out of the front door of the old house, brandishing a huge knotted club and uttering the most horrifying sounds I ever have heard.

“Being convinced by his actions that I was to be assaulted and possibly killed, I drew my revolver and took two shots at him. With this he turned and fled, screaming louder than ever. I didn’t pursue him. Not me. It would take a braver man than I profess to be to go on the trail of that horrible creature.”
The authorities are again agitating the question of taking some means to capture the much-feared lunatic, or whatever he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment