Saturday, January 16, 2021

Book Review for One Last Thing!

Title: One Last Thing! Strange, Curious and Humorous Conversations with the Other Side

Author: John E.L. Tenney

Published 2011 by John E.L. Tenney

Amazon Purchase Information

I've been a fan of John E. L. Tenney's work in the paranormal field since I saw him in the short-lived paranormal investigation show, Ghost Stalkers.  I had heard of him before that, but I think that was the first time I really got to see how he operated as a paranormal investigator...and I was impressed! I also follow John on Twitter, and he always comes across as a smart and witty kinda guy. Therefore, I was thrilled to open my presents Christmas morning and find that I had been given his book, One Last Thing!

I was also kind of surprised, because this book had been on my wish list quite awhile! After all the presents were open, I sat down by the fireplace and started reading. I was done before breakfast was served, lol.

One Last Thing! is a super short read, coming in at under 60 pages, but it was a book that took John 20+ years to make. It is not your simple run-of-the-mill investigation memoir or handbook. Rather, its a fascinating compilation of real life EVP transcripts from John's work in the paranormal investigation field. 

My generation of ghost hunters basically grew up using digital voice recorders and being told that you'd be lucky if you got more than one short word at a time during an EVP session. John shakes things up by using an old school reel to reel, spending HOURS on each EVP session, and capturing some wonderfully interactive conversations with spirits. Some of these conversations are poignant, while others are downright hilarious! It seems that even bodily death cannot destroy someone's sarcasm or snark. I think one of my favorite conversations recorded in the book is a spirit who takes the command to repeat a series of knocks and turns it into a knock-knock joke--seriously.

Reading through the pages, not only was I entertained to the point of chuckling aloud a few times, but I also found myself nodding my head in agreement. John notes that quite a few spirits seem to use the same language, most notably referring to wherever they are as the "Forever" or the "Always." I personally have heard these terms used a few times in my own EVP research, as well as another incident where the entity refers to itself AS A GHOST. It is recommended that to establish a rapport with the other side, some of this language should be incorporated by investigators, and I certainly plan on using what I've learned in the book in my next investigation.

John also notes that sometimes a question would be answered before it was even asked, sparking the debate as to whether ghosts/spirits can be telepathic. Again, I've had similar occurrences in my own investigation work, to the point where we experimented with whether or not WE the investigators were actually imprinting thoughts on tape. 

Overall, this was a really fun book. I wish it had gone more into John's philosophy and method of EVP work. I would love to have researched that more, because the introduction and closing pages, while scarce in number, were packed with useful tidbits of information. But, for what it is---a humorous collection of conversations with the other side--I'm happy. It's a quick read and a perfect palate cleansers for the investigator who needs something easy and fun to read, yet still educational. Obviously, a book of this nature isn't for everyone, but I'm proud to have One Last Thing! in my personal paranormal library!

THERESA'S PARANORMAL BOOK REVIEWS PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment