Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Spreading Spooky Cheer!


This is the season of giving. Christmas is right around the corner, and yesterday was #GivingTuesday, a day for you to donate to your favorite charities and nonprofit organizations. This year, I'm even lower on cash and energy than usual, but I still wanted to do something to give back. I might not have much money or time to donate...but what I do have is books!

Valley Park

I've actually been toying with this idea for a couple of months. I LOVE to collect paranormal nonfiction, and over the years, I've amassed a pretty huge library. I love scouring thrift stores, yard sales, and second-hand bookstores for great deals on used books...and of course, most of my family and friends know that if they're going to buy me a present, they can never go wrong with a ghost book!

But, occasionally I'll find myself with duplicates. Sometimes I'll be gifted a book I already own. Other times, I'll buy myself a book, not realizing that I already have it on my shelf. And, occasionally, I'll purposefully buy books I know I own if I find them cheap enough! For less than a dollar a book, it doesn't matter whether I own it or not...if it's paranormal nonfiction, it's coming home with me! 

Sherwood Circle

I enjoy having a few extra copies of books lying around so I can share them with friends, family, and even clients. But, sometimes I amass a few too many, and it's time to purge. So, today I gathered up my extra copies and decided to hit some area Little Free Libraries! If you're unfamiliar with the concept of Little Free Libraries, click on the link for more info. In short, these are awesome little structures that pop up in neighborhoods, parks, churches, and all sorts of other places. The idea is to 'give a book, take a book.' It's completely FREE, and you're more than welcome to help yourself with no obligation. When you're done reading, you may keep the book, return it to the Little Free Library, pass it on, or donate another in its place.  There are several in the Hurricane area, but the link has a map of all the registered libraries in YOUR area. Definitely check it out.

Anyway, I also threw in some shameless self-promotion and stuck a business card into each book. I figured that anyone who would be interested in the subject matter of the donated books would probably be interested in checking out Spectral Research and Investigation's website! It was a fun little outing, and I hope it inspires you to give what you can this holiday season, even if its something as simple as a battered old paperback about ancient aliens! Stay spooky my friends. 

Sable Point Apartments

No comments:

Post a Comment