Saturday, July 10, 2021

Book Review for Life with the Afterlife

Title: Life with the Afterlife: 13 Truths I Learned About Ghosts

Author: Amy Bruni, with Julie Tremaine

Published: 2020 by Grand Central Publishing

Amazon Purchase Information

Life with the Afterlife was published last October, but as usual I'm late to the party, having only picked up and read this book in June of 2021. It is a memoir of sorts, chronicling the paranormal experiences and ghost hunting career of Amy Bruni. Amy Bruni, co-star of the show Kindred Spirits, got her television ghost hunting start on the original Ghost Hunters, joining the TAPS team as they investigate a multitude of haunted and historic properties, businesses, and even private residences. 

Over the course of thirteen chapters, we learn about how Amy got interested in the paranormal, how she became involved with the TAPS family, what led her to becoming a reality TV ghost hunter, and ultimately, what she has learned from the whole experience. 

I really like reading books written by other investigators. It's enlightening to see how others in this field got their start, and interesting to see how their philosophies and methods compare to my own. As long as I've been an investigator, I still realize that I can always keep learning and keep growing. One way to do so obviously is to learn from the experiences and expertise of well respected figures in the field of paranormal investigation. Amy Bruni has a lot of experience on her own, but throughout the book quotes plenty of other well-known researchers in the field, pulling in their expertise as well.

Unfortunately, I can't say that I actually learned much from this book. That's not to say that there isn't good information in the book---there is---but I think for me it's a combination of things. I've been in this field a LONG time, so most of the '13 truths' just seem kind of common sense to me. Secondly, I hadn't realized it before since I'm not a huge watcher of television shows, but Amy and I have quite similar ideas and beliefs when it comes to paranormal investigation. I especially appreciate her thoughts on the idea of offering assistance and a voice to those left behind here without necessarily 'crossing them over.' I've always been leery of those in this field whose sole mission is to cross spirits over to the other side. We don't know what awaits them over there---how do we know we're not sending them to a fate worse than death? 

Anyway, if you're a fan of the shows Ghost Hunters or Kindred Spirits, or otherwise follow Amy's work, you'll definitely want to read Life With the Afterlife. It is an interesting glimpse into the life of an interesting person, and there's definitely plenty of practical information included for those interested in the field of paranormal investigation. At 257 pages, written in a large font, it's a quick and easy read, perfect for getting in a little chill during those summer days by the pool!

If you've read Life With the Afterlife, let me know what YOU thought about it!  Feel free to comment below, or join me over on Theresa's Haunted History of the Tri-State's Facebook page. Stay spooky, ya'll. 



No comments:

Post a Comment