Thursday, February 11, 2021

The Clarksburg Mermaid

Just recently, Les of WV Cryptids and Strange Encounters, posted a really strange vintage newspaper article from Clarksburg, WV. The article, which comes from the August 15, 1870 edition of the Wheeling Daily Intelligencer. As I'm reading it, I realize it sounds vaguely familiar---and sure enough, I had the same article saved to my laptop. I took that as a sign that it's time to finally add it to the blog for posterity!  Seriously, this is a really strange one; a MERMAID in Clarksburg, West Virginia???  I really wish there were more information included in this article, pinpointing where this creature was seen. I assume the river in question is the West Fork River...but where exactly does the mermaid (or milkmaid) hang out?



You can read this article for yourself, FREE, on the Chronicling America website


No comments:

Post a Comment